TWO WRONGS BY MORGAN MANDEL
WARM YOUR WINTER WITH
GIRL OF MY DREAMS BY
MORGAN MANDEL, A CINDERELLA
STORY ABOUT A REALITY SHOW
BASIC WRITING TIPS
If you've got the urge to write, here are a few mechanics to
guide you along the way.
1. Hook Them In - For best results, start your story in
mid-action. Also, end each chapter unresolved so the
readers will turn the page for more.
2. Don't be a Head-Hopper - Unless you're a pro, it's best
not to switch points of view in the same paragraph or your
readers will get confused.
3. Less Is More - Don't say the same thing in more ways
than one or the plot will get slowed down.
4. Keep adjectives and adverbs to a minimum. Use action
verbs instead of adverbs for best effect.
5. Pretend your characters are real - Describe their physical
characteristics early on to let your readers identify with
them. At strategic points describe their families,
education, job, habits and faults.
6. Don't backstory dump - Instead of throwing in chunks of
information, gradually weave in details of past happenings.
7. Make sense or people will notice.
8. Write often. The more you write, the better you'll be.
9. Join a writers' group.
10. Get a website going before you sign a contract.
11. Research where to send your manuscript. Don't send a
horror story to a publisher who prefers comedies. Study
the publishers' guidelines and follow them.
12. Write to a specific editor by name.
13. Follow your dream and not someone else's - Don't
write about something just because it's popular.
Really want to write about it.
14. Accept rejections as ways to improve your writing.
15. Never give up!!